Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Splurge or Save?

Today one of my work assignments was to go to Anthropologie and do a little inspiration shopping (yes, my job is kind of amazing). It was nice being able to stand in line there with a pile of clothes in my arms and not have a panic attack about how much I was about to spend…oh, the perks of shopping with someone else’s credit card. While I was there, I may have done a little extra research for myself. I have been wanting to buy a utility jacket for fall, but I was looking for one with a little bit more of a feminine take on the trend. And I think I've found it.


Anthropologie Lift Off Jacket

The flower adds a lovely girly touch, but its also removable if you want to toughen it up a bit. I also like how it has the cinched tie waist to add a little bit more shape to the jacket. Its more than I would normally ever spend on one clothing item, but I have been giving a lot of thought lately to quality vs. quantity. This blog has made me realize how many items I have from Forever 21 and H&M that are really just disposable fashion. It has also helped me realize that a lot of the items in my closet are solids or other "basics", and it might just be time to spice things up a bit. The more I think about it, I should be investing in things I absolutely love that will make me happy every time I put them on, not just buying things because they are inexpensive or a "necessity". I think my 30 day shopping ban that starts August 9th (the day I start the 30 for 30 challenge after I get back from New York) will be a good opportunity to mull this idea over and really figure out what kinds of things I should be buying. In the meantime, what should I do about this jacket? Technically its within the budget I have set out for myself for my time here in NYC, but it would mean I probably can't buy anything else until September. Should I risk it and wait and see if it goes on sale? Oh Anthropologie, how you tempt me...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...that jacket is adorable...I love it...it would look so good on you...it's you Kate!!

elizabethashleyphoto said...

Oooh, that's a toughie. That jacket is sooo cute!

I did a quick ebay scan (I never buy anything anymore without checking ebay first...I'm a tad addicted), and I found this cute jacket that has a cinched waist. You could always find a flower pin just about anywhere (including ebay) to add to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Neesh-Anthropologie-Tan-Gray-Linen-Jacket-size-M-/350375028791?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_CSA_WC_Blazers_Tailored_Jackets&hash=item5193faa837

Maybe this isn't (or is??) the perfect example, but you could probably find something comparable and add a flower pin. I didn't have time to browse all search results for 'anthropologie jacket', but there's plenty out there to choose from!

elizabethashleyphoto said...

I also found this one. Super cute and you could do the flower pin.

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-ANTHROPOLOGIE-EMBROIDERED-LINEN-BLAZER-JACKET-TOP-6-8-/220639792645?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_CSA_WC_Blazers_Tailored_Jackets&hash=item335f280e05